Sunday, July 27, 2014

Finding my "pink"

When I was diagnosed with the BRCA 1 genetic mutation that elevates me to a "high risk" individual for breast and ovarian cancer--and then had a risk-reducing double mastectomy-- I sort of felt like I was on an island of my own. I had tons of support from friends and family and I wasn't the only person in my family with the gene mutation. Where it got weird was how did I fit in to the "pink" community? Did I fit into the cancer community?

I hated the word label: previvor.  It just seemed weird and awkward. The bottom line was I choosing to proactively handle my cancer risk based on amazing advances in technology and research. I didn't have breast cancer. I don't know what it is like to receive the results of an abnormal biopsy, or tackle rounds of chemo and radiation. I don't know the intense emotional and physical pain that cancer patients face. So-- I felt alone. The likelihood that I would be diagnosed with breast cancer in my lifetime was 87%. The likelihood that I would be diagnosed with ovarian cancer (the deadliest gynecologic disease) was elevated to 54%. The numbers are just scary and they are REAL!

I received amazing care at MD Anderson and I was surrounded by many women who were really fighting a battle for life. I felt guilty for having access to testing that allows me to make big decisions to travel down a different road then the one my genes had in store for me.

Those amazing women deserved to wear the pink. My grandma, my aunts, and several 2nd cousins who fought the fight deserve to be "pink ladies"... not me.

This weekend I discovered my shade of pink. This weekend I found the community I belonged in and a way that I can share my journey to save women's lives. I found Bright Pink!

For the next 24 months I am on a mission to reach 50 women per month and present the "Brighten Up" Workshop, a dynamic presentation that teaches breast and ovarian health basics, early detection strategies, risk reduction strategies, and then give participants real tools and resources to assess their risk and make proactive decisions. I am on a mission to save young women's lives in my community!

Join me on this journey! Help me reach the women that are important to you. This free 20-minute workshop was created by a group of medical professionals but designed to be delivered my women like me. It can be presented to social groups, church orgs, businesses, community orgs, etc completely free of charge! If you know of a local group who would be interested in this workshop please reach out to me by email at ericajohnston23@gmail.com.

I want to help all women become BRIGHT PINK!

2 comments: