Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's in the genes, baby!

Our genes make us who we are. They tell us we have brown hair and blue eyes. They tell us whether we are short or tall. Within the last decade they have been able to also tell us whether we have genes linked to cancer. The research is absolutely amazing. What an amazing gift God has given those scientist to be able to make those discoveries! However, when you sit across from you OB-GYN and she tells you that you are BRCA-1 positive for a very split second you think, "Darn you science for being so advanced!"

So, let's back up because I have been keeping a small secret from many people and now that I have a plan I would like all my friends to be informed-- to both pray for me and encourage all woman to take charge of their health as well.

After a friendly push from my OB-GYN at my yearly check-up in November 2011 I elected to have the BRCA genetic testing. It tests for BRCA 1 and 2 which are now know as the breast cancer genes. THESE GENES DON'T MEAN THAT THE CARRIER HAS BREAST CANCER. The genes simply significantly increase your chance of developing breast cancer in your lifetime. By significantly I mean up to an 80% chance that I will diagnosed in my lifetime! So, I am BRCA-1 positive. I have the "breast cancer" gene. I am 28 years old, a wife, and mother of two small kids. So after I blamed science for being so advanced my second reaction was "Lets beat this thing!" and so starts my journey...

I contacted MD Anderson and they immediately accepted me as a patient, I received genetic counseling, and my whirlwind of tests and procedures began. Since December 2011 I have had my first mammogram, multiple breast ultrasounds, ovarian ultrasounds, and blood tests. I've been picked, prodded, and felt up so many times it is ridiculous but all with good intention! I made the decision in February 2012 to met with my cancer doctor (yes they assign you a cancer doctor without cancer... in my opinion that's how inevitable it is...) and discuss my real options to really beat this-- not just keep having tests until they find something one day. They are truly all about saving people's lives at MD Anderson and have been completely supportive of my decision to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

Yikes! Why so extreme you ask? Surgery to remove my breast tissue is the ONLY way to almost guarantee (95% chance) that I will never have to deal with breast cancer. There are no guarantees in life but what a change going from an 80% chance of developing breast cancer to a 95% chance of NEVER developing breast cancer. I feel it was a pretty simple decision! So my double mastectomy (removal of both breasts tissue) and reconstruction will take place this summer-- June 5th-- with a possible 2 month recovery time depending on a few minor decisions that haven't been made yet.

I can't lie and act like there is no emotion involved with it. Back in November when I first found out I had a few pretty dark days. Days of "why me... why me!" but that quickly came to an end when I began my appointments in the Mays Breast Clinic and began witnessing real women with breast cancer fighting the real fight in such a strong way. Naturally it also made me never want to have to fight that fight. God has equipped me with the knowledge of this gene for a reason and while we sometimes do not know every detail of His plan I want to use this information to protect myself, my family, and inspire other woman to do the same thing!

And it might be working. My aunt (breast cancer survivor extradanaire) and myself ironically had the BRCA testing done on the same day. It was shocking and a little weird when we found that out actually. Since then my mom and grandma(breast cancer survivor) have been tested. We are all BRCA gene carriers. They don't call it your genetics for nothing! Now we are 4 women with so much power! There is a 50/50 chance that I passed this gene on to my kids-- Emma and Mason. When they reach 18 they will both go into high-risk pools and begin receiving insurance supported testing to make sure that nothing surprises them. You may think why does Mason need to worry. Well, males can get breast cancer but more importantly if Mason has a baby girl one day he must be able to educate her as well! One interesting fact I learned: once a baby is out of the womb most genectic testing can't be done until they are 18 and at the age of consent.

I am so very thankful for my very supportive, amazing husband who has been my best cheerleader through the last 4 months. I'm thankful for family, friends, for prayers, for my phenomenal insurance company that has footed the majority of all costs thus far. I'm thankful for my doctors and whole team at MD Anderson.

So now you know! Don't be afraid to ask me about it. I would be honored to tell you my story, encourage you to take charge of your health, or answer any burning questions you have. These procedures are becoming more common as insurance companies have learned that they would rather help me pay for permenent prevention then years of testing and chemo, radiation, etc when I am diagnosed. So I am counting down the days and nerves are building. Please pray for my kids. I know they are going to take this the hardest but one day they will know it was all for them :)

3 comments:

  1. You are a brave one! Love you, praying for all of you, and remember that we are here if you need ANYTHING!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for peace and healing for you and your family as you embark this journey! Such a courageous decision from an amazing woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, thank you for sharing your story! We are so proud of you for taking the bull by the horns. Our family will continue you to pray for you AND your family. Emma and Mason are so super blessed!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete