Thursday, July 5, 2012

95%

Last week I had an appointment with my high-risk breast doctor (Dr. Litton) who is the initial doctor I saw at MD Anderson after I found out about my BRCA gene. Dr. Litton walked me through my options and got the ball rolling on surgery consultations and such. I had not seen her in roughly six months so I was due for a visit. 

When she walked in the door she said words that made me both smile from ear to ear and want to cry all at the same time: "When I first met you Erica there was an 80% chance you could have breast cancer in your lifetime. Now you sit here before me with a 95% chance of NEVER having breast cancer."

Wow! I loved hearing that-- even though I knew it in my head. I had made all my decisions up until now based on that fact but hearing that from my doctor made me feel awesome! It was like when you play a great game and you know it but to hear the coach say "WELL DONE!" just brings it to another level. And I needed that level because all the pain, discomfort, aching, and trips to MDA were starting to wear on me. I needed that reminder to refocus me and my recovery through this long process.

95%. I'm gonna take it and live it.


1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! I'm so excited to hear that. Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete