Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mason's ENT appointment

Right before we left on our trip to Ohio Mason had an appointment with a Texas Children's ENT. Miraculously, we were able to get an expediated appointment-- originally they thought it would be end of August before we could get in. The appointment was on July 6th. What a blessing and a breath of fresh air Dr. Jones, the ENT, turned out to be! I will explain this in just a second...

The appointment began as any other-- medical history questions and explanation of why this outwardly, very healthy baby boy was visiting today. He had a copy of Mason's CAT scan results that revealed the heart issue. He addressed that first and was very intrigued by the whole scenario. He did mention he has seen cases similar to Mason before and he said it all ended up laying in the hands of Cardiology. He took a look at Mason's ears, nose, and mouth-- all clear. His next act is where my faith in the medical world was restored. He said, "if you absolutely want me to "scope" him (meaning sedating him and sticking tubes down his throat to check out the structure of those upper airway structures) I will, but I don't feel it is necessary until you rule out the Cardiology path" FINALLY someone who didn't want to do unnecessary tests-- I couldn't believe these people existed any more!

Believe it or not, I was completely relieved. I left that appointment with no new answers but feeling so good. He does want to eventually scope Mason especially if Cardiology feels the wheeze is unrelated, but for now it is a relatively minor issue compared with the heart findings. So, our next step is the Cardiologist appointment on August 2nd. Now I did receive the CAT scan results in writing but have only shared them with a few people for a few reasons: 1) I don't fully understand them and want the Cardiologist to explain them and draw me pictures, and 2) if I posted the medical terms and you googled them you would be completely freaked out-- trust me-- been there done that! There is validity in the thought that ignorance is bliss. I can't function in a constant state of worry and stress when we haven't even had the appointment.



I was reminded once again in a devotional a few days ago that Mason is God's child FIRST. It said: "I love this child I call my own, but in reality this child is Yours first and You know them best. Thank you for the honor to join You on this journey..." God created Mason's heart, he formed it, he knows all about it, and He will give Mason's doctors the wisdom to know what to do with it!

Please pray specifically for Mason's cardiology appointment on August 2nd. Until then know that Mason is an extremely happy and healthy baby boy. His 9 month check up was spot on with development, growth, etc. He loves life, the Cow, and his big sister. Now if he would just learn to say "mama"...

No comments:

Post a Comment